Friday, October 14, 2005

Long time no post for me, due to the normal stresses of school life and city business. One issue that's been mentioned is the possiblity of a no-smoking ordiance for Starkville's bars and restuarants. Before I mention where I stand on the issue, let me first say be forthright in saying that I do smoke on occasion. Usually when I am out with friends at a bar myself. While I do believe smoking is bad, state law already requires seperate no-smoking areas for restuarants. I believe that the issue should be up to the individual businesses as to whether they should choose to allow smoking in their establishment. I certainly wouldn't mind a few smoke free bars in town; however, I don't think government needs to force that decision on those establishments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Separate smoking sections do not work. The smoke doesn't know to stay on its side of the room. Smoke has no bounds and travels through the air, therefore, leaving everyone unprotected from its harms.

Also, should businesses be allowed how clean their kitchens are? How often they spray for rats? What about how many hairs are in your food?

When it comes to public health, government has always regulated what businesses do. So should be the case with the harms of secondhand smoke.

Anonymous said...

I think a no smoking ban would be a progressive act. I know often I would like to go hear music, but I refrain because of the smoke. I think having your eyes burn after being in certain local bars after 15 minutes is a major problem. I know a no smoking ban would make me more inclined to frequent bars and restaurants.