Tuesday, April 01, 2008

1% Food/Bev/Hotel Tax

Readers of this blog may be confused to see that, after raising some concerns in my mind in the previous post that I voted, along with the board, to petition the legislature to allow the 1% tax to come up for an election. The board voted 6-0, with Alderman Perkins leaving before the discussion for no provided reason, to proceed with bringing the issue up. There's the potential for some rather significant development to come out of the project, which could make a serious impact on the city's budget and therefore allow more money to be put towards streets and other issues. I think that since it's up for a public election anyway, after time goes by and the proposal is brought before the public it would be worthwhile to see if the citizens of Starkville are willing to support such an endeavor. I, as a voter too, find myself asking the same questions.

No comments: