Thursday, April 24, 2008

MSU Presidental Selection Process Part 3

Most people who know me personally know that I'm not in favor of the Institute of Higher Learning's new process of keeping even the final candidates for MSU president secret until one was decided. This new process was started for the first time 2 1/2 years ago when previous MSU president Charles Lee left. Previously the final candidates were taken to campus and the community as a whole had a real chance to meet the people who may be one of our future leaders. Starkville is what it is today largely because of the university and I believe it to be undeniable that the person selected for that position has a huge influence on the future growth and development of the entire area.

I remember voicing this concern to the Commissioner of the IHL, Dr. Tom Meredith. I was met with rather sharp words in response. It was a reminder to me of a warning a friend once gave. My friend advised that I always take a friend with me into meetings, so that there will always be another person there to bear witness to what is said.

I also remember going to the location of the IHL meetings where the final candidates were being interviewed. I remember sitting outside while they had sheets hung up so no one could see inside the hall leading to the room of the meetings. I remember someone telling me some candidates were being brought up the fire escape so no one would see them. And I remember thinking the entire ordeal was ridiculous. So I sat outside those meetings for two days as a symbolic gesture of how the public in general was being shut out. A one man silent protest is not exactly the most exciting thing in the world.

When Fogelsong was selected and taken to campus to meeting with groups, I mentioned to him that my problem (at the time) wasn't with him, but with the selection process. By the time he was taken to campus everyone knew the deal was done and I doubt any complaints from the groups that met him would have made a difference. Plus it's difficult to get to know someone in such a short time.

When the city interviews candidates for a job, they're always public. And I think we have some fine employees so I fail to see how making the final candidates secret somehow diminishes the quality of applicants.

My next post will be a resolution I've drafted that I plan to present to the board of supervisors and the board of aldermen. Hopefully both groups will pass the resolution and we can make a real lasting statement.

No comments: